Friday, July 14, 2006

Strawberry, Blueberry, Blackberry Crisp

Fresh fruit bought at the fruit stand on my way home from work (above)
Freshly made crisp (below)


I'd been home from Hawaii for less than 24 hours when Operation:Clean out the cabinets began again. This particular recipe used up a tube of rolled oats that had been stashed in the back of the cabinets. Slowly but surely people, slowly but surely, I will use all the dried goods. However if the bird flu does somehow make it to the east coast of America, CB and I will surely be dead due to the fact that we will have no rations of food to sustain us during the time of crisis. We will have a shiny new kitchen with no food, we will surely die and then be eaten by our cat.

Well, moving right along.

I stopped off at the fruit stand on my way home from work. I love the fruit stand because all the fruit is really cheap, however, I hate the fruit stand because of the asshole who stands there all day screaming the price of the fruit over and over again. He has also glared at me more than once, when I took the time to inspect the fruit before buying it. Once he told me that he had never seen anyone look at fruit so long before buying it, I responded that I once bought a carton of strawberries there only to discover when I got home that they were moldy, so as long as he was going to sell moldy fruit, he was going to have to deal with me checking the cartons before I bought them. I believe that I have also told him to shut the hell up when he screamed in close proximity to my ear once.

I didn't know what I was going to do with the fruit when I got home, but as I was washing all of the fruit, I thought that a nice tart berry crisp would be great for CB when he got home. So I filled a circular pie plate with enough sliced strawberries, whole blueberries and blackberries to cover the bottom then made the crisp topping from the following recipe.

  • 1 cup flour,
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp all spice
  • dash salt

I combined all the ingredients to make the crumble, then layered on top of the fresh berries. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

This post is part of ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday over at Sweetnicks helping to promote the use of Antioxidant Rich Foods in daily cooking.

BLUEBERRIES

Researchers at the USDA Human Nutrition Center have found that blueberries rank number 1 in antioxidant activity when compared to 40 other fresh fruits and vegetables. Anthycyanin - the pigment that makes blueberries blue - is thought to be responsible for this major health benefit. Blueberries also contain beta-carotene, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, ellagic acid and phenolics that can also act as antioxidants. Other health benefits one can expect form blueberries are:

  • Support cognitive function, concentration and memory
  • Maintain eye and retina health
  • Promote urinary tract health
  • Support healthy glucose metabolism

For more information visit NewsTarget.com.

4 comments:

jen said...

that sounds (and looks) absolutely delicious!! will try it. love your blog btw. :)

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Unknown said...

Awesome recipe. I used strawberries as well. Added some fresh grated nutmeg and used coconut oil / margarine - 1/2 - 1/2. Tasted great!!!