Recipe: Farfalle with Pistachio Cream Sauce
8 oz. farfalle or penne pasta
1/2 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
1/4 C. ground pistachio (unsalted nuts, ground in a blender or food processor)
2 T. olive oil (plus a little extra)
1/2 - 3/4 C. heavy cream (according to taste)
crushed red pepper
salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- In the meantime, chop onion and grind the pistachios until the pieces are very small but not completely uniform.
- Add pasta to water and boil according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, begin sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan, add onion and cook until translucent but not browned.
Add pistachios and enough oil to moisten them (if needed). It should be a paste-like consistency.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat for about one minute (do not let the pistachios take on any color).
- Add cream, stir until heated through, then remove from heat.
- Add crushed red pepper, black pepper and plenty of salt to taste.
- When pasta is al dente, drain well then add to the sauté pan with the sauce. Toss well to coat and serve immediately with lots of fresh grated parmigiano reggiano.
Rating = So Good