Friday, November 27, 2009

Autumn Cranberry Pear Jam



The Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade has really gone down hill. That's all I'm saying about that.


I slept in this morning, until 8:15, which was very late considering I'm usually up at 5. I came downstairs and exclaimed to Chris that I was ready to "bust some doors". However off this statement may sound, it's not wrong considering that the door buster hours at Kohls were from 4-1 and then from 3-close, so the only hours that were not technically "door busters" were from 1-3. I think they should have come up with a better name than door buster.


I really do hope that this years black friday proves to be busier than last year...I hope that there is glimmers that this holiday will be easier and merrier for more families than it was last year. I plan on a little cyber Monday action too, I hope that proves more fruitful for the economy, I'm so sick and tired of the doom and gloom of the economy and think we "need a little Christmas, right this very minute." We're getting our tree on Sunday, I can't wait.


The big work craft fair is this Thursday and I'm just about ready. This is one of the jams that I will be selling, delicious Autumn Cranberry Pear Jam. This one is one of Chris' favorites of all the stuff that I have made. 


Autumn Cranberry Pear Jam
makes about six 8 oz jars


3 cups crushed cored peeled pears
2/3 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pouch (3 oz) liquid pectin


1. Prepare canner jars and lids


2.  In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan combine pears, cranberries, apple juice, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam. 


3. Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot jam. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight.


4. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.


Rating = So Damn Good


No comments: