Monday, August 02, 2010

Mango Salsa

I think the thing I miss most about being young now that I'm married, and an adult is that you don't get your own bedroom anymore. Remember when the bedroom was all yours, and you could decorate it however you felt, shake your ass to the radio while singing in front of the mirror, and just spend time in a space completely dedicated to you. There are not too many things I miss about growing up, but that for sure is one of them. Maybe I really don't miss the actual having my own bedroom part, maybe I miss the luxury of spending time in the bedroom, without the strappings of responsibility found throughout the rest of the house. I really only use the bedroom to sleep - remember when it was so much more, it's where your friends hung out, where you did homework, wrote in your journal. I now spend most of my time in the kitchen, and if my younger self could look at me now, I think she'd be amazed that I know where the kitchen is, let alone make creations in it. So, now, I guess the kitchen is my bedroom, it's where I spend most of my time, sing to the radio, spend time with friends. How we change.

Mango Salsa
I got the inspiration for this recipe from Simply Recipes and yes, I used my very own home grown jalapenos and cucumbers in the recipe.

1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (about 1 1/2 cup) 
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 JalapeƱo chile, minced (include ribs and seeds for a hotter taste if desired)
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice (as always, I always include the zest of the fruit)
Salt and pepper to taste



Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the salsa ends up being a little too hot or acidic for your taste, you can temper it by adding some diced avocado.

Rating = Damn Good

2 comments:

Brenna said...

That's a really interesting point, I never realized how much the bedroom is central to our adolescent lives. But I guess that's because we couldn't put our stamp on any other rooms of the house, you know?

Kristen said...

Just wanted to say that I like your blog. I modified one of your recipes for some early season apples I had to use - I blog my food adventures at http://missadventuresinfoodandwine.blogspot.com/