Monday, April 24, 2006

Mo' Mojito


We had friends in from Columbus, Ohio this weekend. One friend was taking her anesthesiology boards, which, I'm not completely sure, but I'm guessing are REALLY FRIGGING HARD. So, after all her tests, classes and seminars were done, a few of us got together and decided to celebrate.

I thought that the occasion deserved a drink with a little more gusto than just a beer cracked open with one's teeth, or the glug glug of wine being poured, so I made a pitche of Mojitos. They rocked.

I decided to make the simple syrup on the stove top and added mint so that the flavor would infuse the whole pitcher. I placed four cups of filtered water in a pot on the stove, added a little over a cup of sugar, and a handful of chopped mint. I brought the mixture to a boil, when the sugar had dissolved I turned the heat down and intended to let it simmer for a few minutes. I INTENDED to let it simmer for a few mintues, but due to the fact that the day before I had two cosmopolitans before dinner, and then shared a bottle of Reisling with dinner, compounded by the fact that I was out way way past my bedtime, I proceeded to fall asleep on the couch and let the syrup simmer for at least an hour and a half. You know what? The syrup flavor really condensed and came out so damn good. Gooey, but good.

Mojito Pitcher
3/4C light rum
1.5 Liter Raspberry Lime Seltzer
1C Simple Syrup
1C Chopped Mint

Mix together in pitcher and serve in a highball glass with ice.

No comments: