Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lemon Poppyseed Scones

So, this was my first try at making my own recipe from scratch, and yes I cribbed it a bit from other scone recipes I had used, but for the most part, I was winging it.

All in all, I'd say they didn't come out half bad. I used skim milk to cut down on the fat. I also used real lemon juice and not lemon extract. I think that this caused a bit of a reaction with the milk when I was mixing it all up, which could explain why the scones were so light and almost cake like. I expected the scones to be dry because I used skim milk, but they were actually very fluffy. In addition to the juice of one lemon, I used the zest of two lemons in the batter. All in all a pretty good job for my first official sans recipe baking adventure.

Recipe: Lemon Poppyseed Scones
3 C flour
1/2 C sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter
1/2 C milk (I used fat free)
Zest of two lemons
Juice of one lemon
1 1/2 tbs poppy seeds

Combine dry ingredients together including zest and poppyseeds. Cut in butter, but don't mix too much. Add milk and lemon juice to batter. combine until batter is wet and all dry ingredients are incorporated. Place on floured surface and knead about 8-10 times. Create circle with the dough, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inc thick and about 8 inches in diameter. Create 8 pie pieces out of dough. Place on a greased cookie sheet, bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

Rating = So Damn Good

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

Interesting move offsetting no lemon extract with the lemon/zest combo...craftay!

Patricia Scarpin said...

JB, I've made scones only twice and I'm willing to make them again.
Your recipe sounds great, I love lemon!