Monday, February 25, 2008

Sauteed Spinach with Feta and Pine Nuts

Something you may not know about me; I love spinach. Loooove it, love it, love it. I feel bad for people who don't like it. If I could eat it everyday I would. I try to eat it everyday, whether it be spinach omelets, sauteed spinach, pasta with spinach, whatever. I love it. absolutely hated it growing up. I don't know what happened, my taste buds grew up or something, but now I love it. Why is it that you can hate some foods when you are younger, but love them when you are older? I don't get it because some of the foods that I hated when I was younger, I still hate; mushrooms, raw tomatoes and cantaloupe (I have a serious gag reflex to cantaloupe, just the name induces a little vomit in my mouth, blech.) But, some of the things I hated when I was younger I love now, spinach, eggplant, summer squash, onions - why do I love these now, but not the others?

I got this recipe out of the latest issue of Everyday Food. It's delicious.

Sauteed Spinach with Feta and Pine Nuts
1 bag spinach rinsed, drained and trimmed of large stems
feta cheese for sprinkling
pine nuts for sprinkling
olive oil to coat pan
salt and pepper to taste

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Heat the oil in the skillet (I added the salt and pepper to the skillet at this time to) add the spinach, as much as will fit in the pan, allow to cook down and add spinach a bit at a time until all is added. When the spinach has wilted down plate and top with feta cheese and pine nuts. Yum. (We served this with grilled salmon and it was perfect.)

Rating = Damn Good

6 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I'm sorta surprised you aren't green like the Kermit :)

Unknown said...

I too now love spinach and onions, but hated them as a kid. Some of the foods I still can't stand are broccoli and bananas. If they even touch my food, the whole thing is inedible.

Patricia Scarpin said...

JB,
I have noticed that some of the foods I didn't like as kid and like now were prepared in a way I didn't like. I've come to realize that in some cases the ingredient was not a problem - since now I cook it in a different way, I like it.

This recipe you used for the spinach is absolutely delicious!

Anonymous said...

how funny. we just made this last night, out of everyday food as well. we loved it and it could not have been easier.

Unknown said...

As a child I had exactly the same reaction to cantelope (gagging) that you have. Never known anyone else with this reaction to this fruit. I'm fine with it now. Very odd. Have you tried it with salt?

JB said...

dallas - i just can't even think of putting it in my mouth - i hate the smell of it - i love salt, but i don't think that can solve my problem with cantaloupe. seriously i just threw up a little in my mouth just writing this.