Monday, May 11, 2009

No Knead Crusty Bread | Oh My God

I do not know anyone who does not enjoy hot crusty bread. I made a big brunch for mothers day yesterday and really wanted to try and make homemade crusty bread. I Googled "homemade crusty bread" and this recipe came up over and over again. I figured if that many people were posting about it, it had to be good. It took me 24 hours to make this bread, but the actual active time for this recipe is about 10 minutes, the rest is sitting and waiting for the yeast to do it's thing. When the bread came out of the oven I cracked a little piece off to test it. Oh, Mama was it good; crunchy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. It had an almost sour dough consistency on the inside. I cracked off a hunk for CB, who grabbed some butter and slathered in on the warm bread. About 30 seconds later I hear this "Damn, Jules, this bread is good, this bread is better than Federal Hill bread, it's better than all the breads I grew up with" then this, through a mouth full of warm buttered bread "you're gonna have to make this again."

It was indeed that good.

I started thinking about all the things I could add to it, rosemary and sea salt, caraway seeds, whole wheat flour. It was at this point that CB said. "No, do not mess with bread, all this bread will ever need is butter."

I'm still going to try and play with the recipe a little. But here is the original recipe that I worked from. Try if for yourself, it's that good. Crusty Bread LINK HERE

Rating = So God Damn Good

8 comments:

Sherri (Serene Journey) said...

Hi JB!
I'm so glad you liked this bread as much as we do! It IS awesome. Thanks for the link. I can't wait to see how you modify the recipe and how it turns out. :)

Cheers,
Sherri

Tara said...

OMG this is the bread recipe that got me hooked on baking bread this winter. Who knew flour and water and yeast could make something this magnificent?

Anonymous said...

That bread looks out of this world. I've had my eye on that recipe for a looooong time but I don't think I have a pot to bake it in. I only have two large pots and they are stainless with some kind of plastic like black handles. I think I need to fix that prob. What did you bake it in? Love your blogs -- and your pics always want me to reach right into the computer.

Thanks.

JB said...

Anon - I baked it in a cast iron dutch oven. I actually have plans to buy another one so I can make more than one loaf at a time. (it's that good)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info about what you cooked the bread in. I think I just need to buy something. I've never made bread before and I so want to give it a try.

My mom had a LeCreuset pot that would have been perfect, but she sold it before they moved. What was I thinking not taking dibs on that pot.

I'll have to find a cheaper alternative though. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about the Fed Hill line. My fiance is from RI and I lived there before I met him; is that the one you are tawkin' about?

JB said...

Yes, my husband is an Italian from RI - that's the Federal Hill I'm tawkin' bout!

JB said...

Anon - Target has a $30 cast iron dutch oven that America's Test Kitchen ranked as their #2 dutch oven. That's what I used.