Monday, April 05, 2010

Reader Challenge #1 | Asparagus Apple Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette

This picture sucks - sorry, I was rushing because we had dinner guests and the looked at me weird when I started taking pictures of their plates - I explained the whole blog thing to them, they seemed intrigued.

I AM LOVING THIS CHALLENGE. I'll post the recipes in the order that I get the combination requests. So, first, Brenna's combination of apples and asparagus. I absolutely love this salad; the blue cheese, asparagus and apples all work so well together. I wouldn't change anything about this recipe except that next time I would cut the asparagus onto smaller pieces, and dice the apple instead of slicing it, just to make it easier to eat - essentially so you just need a fork, not a knife and a fork.

This recipe is from Cooking Light, and was featured as a "Derby Day Menu" so I assume it would pair nicely with a Mint Julep, which I am sorry to say I have never tried. Every year when the Kentucky Derby hype starts, I tell myself to order one of this drinks while I watch the race and for some reason - I never seem to fulfill my own request. Has anyone had this drink? Does it taste like shit or is it really a nice drink, I mean it's not like anyone talks about this drink at any other time of year besides this horse race. Anyway. If you are planning a Derby Day party, add this lovely salad to your spread.

Brenna, thank you for this combination, I never would have looked for nor made this recipe without the suggestion, and I would definitely make it again.

Asparagus Apple Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette | Cooking Light
1 WW point

Ingredients
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
(I used a lovely blue cheese from France that I got at a specialty food store, I think having the more pungent blue cheese really added to the salad  don't get the pre crumbled crap in the cheese case at the local grocery store, get a good cheese)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups diagonally cut (2 inch) asparagus (next time I would cut it into smaller pieces)
4 cups torn butter lettuce
2 cups thinly sliced gala apples (next time I would dice them)

Combine first 9 ingredients stirring with a whisk.

Cook asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain. Combine the asparagus, lettuce and apple in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette, toss lightly to coat.

Rating = So Damn Good

Thanks Brenna!

3 comments:

Tricia said...

That looks fantastic and I would have never thought of that combo. A must try!

Brenna said...

I am so impressed! I can't believe a recipe with these two things exists, in a legitimate publication, and tastes good. And now of course I have to make it. Yum.

JB said...

Brenna do make it, and if I would say use whole grain dijon mustard if you have it, it really adds to it. Let me know what you think.