Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dad's Day Picnic featuring "Chipotle Black Bean Dip"

So, my dad is a bit of a foodie. Not just in that he loves food, loves to read about food, has a garden, etc etc. He really likes being adventurous with food, really adventurous. I remember a story he told me a few years back about how he was driving down the street once and the car in front of him hit a pheasant. The car didn't stop, but my father did, he pulled over, he assessed the pheasant, he thought it didn't look to bad, so he picked it up, he put it in his car, he took it home. And HE ATE IT!

Can you f'in believe that. I recall him saying something like "it wasn't too bad, a bitch to pluck". I think I stopped listening at the part of the story when he said he picked it up. At that point, I think Ihad started to see spots. I give him credit though, I'm a pretty intense foodie, but he's got me beat, by a long shot. So when it came to Father's Day we decided to have a picnic, my little sister and I creating various culinary treats. See our spread below.

One of the things that I made to go with that there crudites was Chipotle Black Bean Dip from the book Vegetable Planet, this is the same book that I got the Rockin' Guacamole and Jamaican Black Bean Burger recipes from. All have been fantastic.I've made this dip twice, and the second time I added a bit of water to loosen it up as it is very very thick, if you like it thick keep the recipe as it appears below, if you like it a little more lose add some water until you get the consistency you like. I will say that I also doubled the number of chili peppers that it called for - cuz I dad likes his shit spicy.
Chipotle Black Bean Dip | Vegetable Planet

1 (15oz) can black beans
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 C chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves
1 tbsp chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
1 pinch cayenne
2 tbsp lime juice (I used the lime zest as well)
salt and pepper to tasate
1/4 hulled pumpkin seeds, toasted (optional)


1. Pour black beans into a strainer and run cool water over them.


2. In a food processor,combine the cilantro with the onion and garlic and chipotles and run the machine in short spurts to mince the vegetables. Add the black beans, cayenne, lime juice and salt and pepper and puree until smooth. (This is the point where I added a little water to make the dip less thick)


3. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds if you like.


Rating  = Damn Good


1 comment:

erin said...

Mmmm... recipe sounds awesome. Can't wait for it to be printed! But I think it's "chipotle," not "chipolte."