Thursday, September 07, 2006

Honey Cinnamon Scones

Growing up the only time I generally ingested honey was when it was mixed with a little whiskey and lemon. It was Nana's fool proof cough syrup. I never really understood why she would always give it to us even if we didn't seem to have a cough, nor why I would pass out for hours on end in the middle of the day, but I guess that conversation is for another time, possibly when I'm laying horizontally on a psychiatrists couch.

Moving right along. I love honey, I eat it almost every day, and generally I drizzle it over fresh berries and yogurt. When in VT this past weekend I stopped off at the farmers market for the last time this season and picked up about 7 pounds of honey; dark fall honey, and light summer honey, they were all out of the orange blossom honey.

Realizing that I now have four jugs (tee hee, I said jugs) of honey I decided to put some of it to good use. It's been a while since I baked, so Ta Da. Honey Cinnamon Scones. These really are fabulous. Try them.

Recipe:
2 C flour
1/4 C sugar
1 tsp B. Powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C cream
2-3 tbs honey (you decide how honey flavored you like it)
1 egg

Sift dry ingredients together and cut in butter until crumbly. (Is crumbly a word) Mix milk, egg and honey together then add to crumble mixture. Knead briefly on floured surface about 8-12 times. Pat into a 9 inch circle and cut into 8 equal wedges. Bake on greased cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes in a 400 degree oven. When finished brush the top with more honey, it will melt into the top and be awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to list "butter" in your ingredient list.