Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Eggs and Crab in a Basket

Sometimes you just need breakfast for dinner. Last night was one of those nights. I had seen the hearty boys make a recipe similar to this a few weeks ago and was looking for an excuse to make it. That excuse presented itself when I realized that I had a dozen eggs that needed to be used before my trip next week. Viola - an excuse for breakfast at dinner time.

1 tbsp butter
melted 12 wonton squares
6 oz lump crab meat
6 large eggs
6 slices smoked gouda cheese (or whatever cheese you want)
Salt and pepper (I also put fresh chives in between the layers)

Preheat oven to 375Brush the muffin cups with butter and line each with 1 wonton square. Brush the squares with more butter and place the second wonton on top of the first at an angle so that all of the points show. Divide the crab among the muffin cups. Place a piece of cheese on top of the crab and sprinkle some chives on top as well. Break 1 egg into each muffin cup. Sprinkle chives on top and salt and pepper.

Place in the bottom half of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the egg white is firm but yolk still liquid. Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes before carefully removing the baskets from the tin.

I got distracted and let the eggs sit in the oven a bit too long, so my yolks were not runny, as I would have liked them to be, next time I will pay closer attention and get runny yolks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your use of the wantons here to make a basket to hold the food. Its a great photo too! Its all brilliant.

PatL said...

This looks like a nice dish to make for a crowd; bet you can bake lots of these little guys in the oven all at once!

Ok, so now ... please forgive me for asking this, but I'm seeing lots of people saying "viola!" lately, and I'm wondering, is that irony, or was it supposed to be "voila!"?

JB said...

I don't know the what everybody else is doing, but I obviously spelled it wrong. woops.