Monday, September 11, 2006

Pasta and Haddock Bake

This weekend was a truly fabulous weekend in Boston. It was sunny and crisp and warm. It was also the first weekend in oh, I don't know 87 weekends that I didn't have to fly somewhere for work, or drive somewhere, or go see family or any other malarkey. It was the first weekend where I could finally go to the tailor and get my spring pants hemmed (yes, I realize spring is over, but at least they will be ready for next year), peruse the Trader Joe's grocery store, and go to my favorite bookstore in the whole wide world, Brookline Booksmith, which just happened to be having a big sale. When I first moved to Boston and didn't have a job, I would get up in the morning and walk to Brookline Booksmith and sit among the books for hours. I honestly believe that bookstore is the one reason why I fell in love with reading, and ever since then, my thirst for reading has been insatiable. I ended up leaving with four books which came to a grand total of $22. Don't you just love a bargain!

One of the books I bought was a little $5 book titled 101 Simple Suppers. You know what, they ain't kidding, the book is chocked full of really tasty and simple recipes. Do yourself a favor, try the one I just made, the Pasta and Haddock Bake, the original recipe called for Cod, but I couldn't get it in my fish markt that day, so I settled for haddock. The picture may not scream sexy, but this dish made me come back for seconds, which I never do, I pretty much have a one plate rule, lest we forget the promise I made to myself to never have to wear elastic waist pants.

  • 12oz pasta shells
  • 6 thick slices bacon cut into strips
  • 12 oz tomato sauce; zest of one lemon
  • 1lb cod fillets cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 4 tbsp creme fraiche
  • 3tbs chopped fresh parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2oz freshly grated cheddar or parmesan.
  1. Cook pasta in slated boiling water for 10-12 minutes
  2. Cook bacon for 5 minutes, until crisp (drain grease). Add the tomato sause and stir well until it starts to bubble. Stir in lemon zest and add codd (haddock). Cover and cook for four mintes
  3. Preheat broiler. Drain pasta and stir into the sauce with the creme fraiche and parsely. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into shallow heatproof dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top and broil until cheese is melted and golden.

You can substitute shrimp for the bacon, and use dill instead of parsley. Eat It. Stuff Your Face. Enjoy!

3 comments:

wheresmymind said...

This looks really great..I'm not a Had-Dock fan (as my Mom destroyed my taste for it WAY back in the day) however, I really would give this a try, it looks really yum :)

JB said...

The original recipe called for Cod, I just used Haddock because that's what the uber chic fenway shaws had on hand on Sunday.

Unknown said...

Heya JB, just made this with Haddock for the kids and they left 2 empty plates - delicious! Thanks!