Monday, July 28, 2008

Mixed Berry Soup


I had the most God awful, annoying T driver this morning. I boarded the train at 7:15..way too early to have a T driver who thinks he's an announcer for the WWF. As we approached every train station he announced the name of the station like he was announcing a prize fighter on his way to the squared circle. "Next stop.....HaaaayyyyMaaarrkkeet..grrr" I shit you not. And what made it even more annoying was that he talked all the way in between stops..."please remember to take your belongings...your papers...your bags...your trash." and then he would go into the reminder to "stay clear of the doors, stay clear of the doors, stay clear of the doors." We're not daft, I think we know how to get in and out of the train. What made it even worse, is, it's Monday and I just wanted to relax and read the paper on my way to work this morning, but I couldn't read more than three words before the WWF announcer would pipe back up and start his ridiculous announcer voice again. Ugh.

I had the opportunity to make a few quick things this weekend before I completely packed up the kitchen, so I should be able to post a few times between now and when I'm unpacking at the end of the week. The first thing I made I got the recipe from the Today show. They have this Italian family that comes on about once a month and shared their restaurant recipes with everyone. This one was fabulous, I'm not really sure how it can't be it includes a bottle of wine, berries and sherbet, all of which is good on its own, even better when mixed together. Yum.

If you make this recipe please let me know if you like it. I literally could have just drank the soup it was that good, but I want to know what you think.

Mixed berry soup with raspberry sorbet
Fresco by Scotto (on the Today Show)
6 servings

INGREDIENTS
• 4 cups mixed berries plus more for garnish
• 3 cups red wine
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 quart raspberry sorbet

DIRECTIONS
Combine 4 cups berries, wine, sugar, and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

Remove from heat, chill very well, about 3 hours, remove cinnamon stick.

Divide soup between 6 chilled bowls, garnish with additional berries and sorbet. Serve immediately.

Rating = So God Damn Good

No comments: