Monday, July 05, 2010

Italian Bread and Tomato Salad | Vegetable Planet

I know, terrible horrible picture, sorry. I promise it tastes amazing. I've been wanting to make bread salad for years ever since I saw "Tits" (read, Giada) make it on the food network. I don't know why it took me so long to make it, maybe it's been the lack of a large amount of stale bread in the house, I don't know, but I will make sure there is bread for this recipe again soon. Here goes:


Italian Bread and Tomato Salad | Vegetable Planet
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp water
2 garlic cloves minced
6 cups cubed stale or lightly toasted bread (I used a seeded French loaf that was so hard you could probably hammer nails with it)
6 plum tomatoes cut into wedges (I used grape tomatoes, halved)
1 small red onion diced
1 cup chopped basil, dill and cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste


1. In a large bowl, mix the vinegar, olive oil, water and garlic. Add the bread, and let it soak for 5 to 10 minutes. 


2.  Add the rest of the ingredients, taste, and add more salt and pepper if you need to. Serve immediately. (I actually had this salad the next day and because my bread was so stale it tasted better the next day, I'm sure this won't be the case if your bread isn't as stale as mine was.)


Rating = So Damn Good

No comments: