Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Low Fat Pumpkin Bread

Remember back a few months when I was experimenting with dairy and egg free quick breads? I made this one, and this one. Well, I'm back at it again, and this recipe was completely concocted out of my head. I opened the pantry and saw a can of pumpkin and thought - it's time to experiment with the low fat breads again; and I started pulling out the tubs of flour, sugar, oatmeal - what have you. I must say I rocked the house with this bread. I made it Monday night - it's almost gone people.

Just a minor side note here folks. Especially those of you who may take public transportation to work, or ever. Never pick up a newspaper that has been left on the seat by a previous rider. Monday morning CB and I were taking the train to work together, at the crack of friggin dawn I may add (what the hell is wrong with us). I was reading a book, so my head was down; I kept hearing someone sneeze, not once or twice, like 15 times. I pick my head up and a man on the other side of the train is reading the financial times, (or whatever that pink paper newspaper is) and is sneezing uncontrollably into the paper, he's not covering his face with it, just sneezing into it as he reads. It's at this point that I figure it is my duty to let everyone on the train know that not once in the 15 times he sneezed did he cover his mouth. At the next stop he gets up neatly folds the paper that he has blown snots all over and leaves it on the seat for the next unsuspecting rider. It was at this point that I looked at him and called him a disgusting pig. So, word to the wise people. Bring your own paper on the train, and if there is a paper on your seat when you get on the train, use a stick to swipe it to the floor. The bigger note here would be that this could all be avoided if people simply recycled their newspapers when they were done reading them.

Ok. Back to the recipe now.
As I mentioned - this is straight from my head - you can try and make it if you want. I really enjoyed it, but if you make it and you don't like it, don't say I didn't warn you, it's not like I'm a baker or anything.

Low Fat Pumpkin Bread (This would be vegan if you left out the chocolate chips)
3/4C all purpose flour
1/2 C oatmeal
1/2C brown sugar
1/2C white sugar
1/8 C ground flax see (optional)
1/3 C chocolate chips
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 C canned pumpkin
1/3 C applesauce (I used chunky, but smooth would be preferable)

Combine all dry ingredients together. In a mixer combine canned pumpkin, applesauce and vanilla. On medium speed combine dry ingredients into wet a little bit at a time. When all ingredients are mixed together, add chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.

Place in a greased and floured (I used nonfat spray with flour for baking) bread pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Enjoy.

Rating = So God Damn Good (and low fat)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Emily's friend from work here. You are HYSTERICAL. Really funny. Great blog.

JB said...

Hey Lori, thanks so much, I'm glad you like reading it. Thanks for commenting.

AlwaysJoy said...

I made this one last night (since everyone had eaten all the chocolate peanut butter chip) I think I did something wrong because it didn't grow any. It just stayed the size that it was before so a little piece is VERY filling. Do you think it would work with raisins instead of chocolate chips?

PS - I think my husband is in love with you since I don't cook unless it is something on here. You make the recipes non scary

JB said...

Joy - I think it would be great if you used raisins, or chocolat covered raisins would be fantastic.

This bread is very dense, but if you wanted to try to make it rise a little bit more I would just add another 1/4 tsp of baking soda and see if that does the trick.

I'm really glad you are enjoying all of these recipes, I'm realyl enjoying making them up.
J