Monday, March 20, 2006

Armoniche with Prosciutto and Spinach


I've been traveling for work and spending time in our new condo doing renovation work, so my opportunities to cook have been sparse. It was such a relief to come home last night and be able to pull together a wonderful and easy dinner. Move over Rachael Ray - I've got a 30 minute meal here that is sure to please.

When I first started cooking about 4 years ago, I was literally a novice in the kitchen. In order to cook the easiest of dishes, I needed to follow a recipe strictly outlining ingredients and directions. I knew that I was becoming a better cook when I started to pull dishes together sans recipes. I love spending time in the kitchen now and just putting ingredients together and seeing how they work.

This particular dinner came about because we had a ton of proscuitto left over after a party last week where my mom and I made a crap ton of scallops wrapped in prosciutto - which literally flew off the tables into peoples mouths, it was amazing. Anyway, the whimsy recipe is as follows:

1 lb Armoniche pasta (or whatever pasta you so desire)
3 cloves garlic
1 half red onion
proscuitto thinly sliced and chopped
1 lb organic spinach
1/2 c dry white wine
Butter and olive oil to coat bottom of saute pan

I heated the onion and garlic for a few minutes over low heat then added the proscuitto and let cook for a few minutes. When the pasta was half way done I added the spinach to the sauté pan, poured in the wine and covered until the pasta was done. After draining I added the pasta to the sauté pan and mixed together.

I sprinkled the top with parmesan cheese. Everything tastes better with a little sprinkling of the parmesan.

No comments: