Monday, May 21, 2007

Sage Wrapped New Potato Skewers

I'm Irish. I love potatoes. The two go hand in hand. CB has been known to look at the table at Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, what have you, and exclaim, "how many ways can you people cook potatoes?" Well, there's home fried potatoes, scalloped potatoes, potatoes au gratin, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, I feel like the Bubba Gump of potatoes. However you never hear me say to CB, all you Italians and your pasta, how many types of pasta do you people need. See, you just don't hear that.

This is such a pretty way of presenting what can otherwise be a dull side dish. The sage does go from a very vibrant green when just picked, to an almost purple when heated through.

Recipe: Makes 5 skewers

20 tiny new potatoes, peeled
10 large sage leaves
fresh chopped parsley
olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Boil potatoes until just soft enough to pierce all the way through with skewer.
2. Cool potatoes and toss with olive oil, parsley and salt and pepper
3. Place one potato on skewer, take sage leaf and pierce with skewer at the very base of the leave near stem, do not push down skewer yet, add second potato, wrap sage leaf over potato and pierce with skewer at the top of the leaf and push down onto potato, and then move the two potatoes down the skewer. Do this twice with each skewer, so each on has two sage leaves and four potatoes.
4. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for twenty minutes.

Rating = So Damn Good

3 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I'm not Irish (there's an Italian/Portuguese/German thing going on in my blood) but I love potatoes and will have them anyway.
I love it that you paired them with sage, JB - I bet it was delicious!

wheresmymind said...

Simple carbs any way are good with me!

Anonymous said...

Perfect-perfect! I was wondering what to put on my shish-k-bobs for our memorial day cookout. I may need to borrow your idea.
Your welcome to come too!