Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Mediterranean Apricot and Date Chutney


I love dates and I love dried apricots, but dried apricots give me gas so I try to limit my intake to one a day, chopped up to top my yogurt and granola. But, when I saw this recipe I knew I had to throw caution to the wind...ha, get it wind...


The recipe says to serve this chutney with tangines (Moroccan stews), but I've just been putting it on crusty bread with a little bit of melted brie. Yum.


Mediterranean Apricot and Date Chutney
makes about twelve 8-oz jars.


2 lbs dried apricots
water
3 cups lightly packed brown sugar
2 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates
2 1/2 cups raisins
2 cups white wine vinegar
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground coriander


1. In a large bowl, combine apricots with water to cover. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain, chop and place in a large stainless steel saucepan. Add 2 cups water, brown sugar, dates, raisins, vinegar, mustard seeds, salt, ginger and coriander. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until thick enough to mound on a spoon, about 20 minutes.


2. Prepare canner jars and lids while ingredients are boiling.


3.  Ladle chutney into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot chutney. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to finger tip tight.


4. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove the jars, cool and store.


Rating = So Damn Good



No comments: