Monday, June 14, 2010

Rockin Guacamole | Veggie Planet

I just can't seem to get enough eggplant right now. I actually have four plants growing big and strong in the garden right now. I can only hope that they produce enough fruit to make this recipe over and over and over again. Actually, hopefully I'LL be able to use jalapeno, bell pepper, red pepper and onion from the garden in this recipe too. The only thing in this recipe that came from the garden was the cilantro, but come August I'll pretty much be able to make this from the back yard - will just need to get the avocado from the market. 


This recipe comes from the cookbook Veggie Planet, the author owns a restaurant of the same name in Harvard Square in Cambridge. The original recipe calls for cooking the eggplant for 30 minutes, I found that I needed to cook the eggplant for almost an hour to get it fully cooked, I'm sure it depends on the size of the eggplant, but just know that you may need to cook it longer.
The original recipe also didn't call for jalapeno, I had one on hand, so I added about a half a jalapeno to the recipe.


Rockin Guacamole | Veggie Planet
1 lb eggplant
1 ripe avocado peeled and pitted
1 red bell pepper seeded and minced
1 green bell pepper seeded and minced
1/2 jalapeno seeded and minced
1 pinch cayenne
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 cup red onion minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Preheat oven to 425, cut eggplant in half and lay on baking sheet cut side up. Bake for 30 minutes (or longer) then allow to cool.


In a bowl combine the avocado, bell peppers, cayenne, garlic, red onion, cilantro, olive oil and juice.


Spoon the eggplant from its skin and add to the mixture. Mash with a fork or a potato masher. Add salt and pepper to taste, chill for 30 minutes before serving.


Mmm Mmm Mmm


Rating = So Damn Good

No comments: