Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Pizza Two Ways...and Red Sox on DVR


I watch every Red Sox game. When I was little my grandfather used to watch all the ball games. He knew all the signs between the manager and the third base coach, between the cather and the pitcher. He was so completely involved in the game. He was 17 when the Red Sox won the last World Championship that he would ever see.

He would watch through decades upon decades of the Red Sox not become the World Champions, and like all faithful fans he would wait until next year. Next year didn't come for my grandpa, he died when I was eleven and never got to see the Red Sox wave the championship flag or flash the championship ring again. The Red Sox have just been part of the family fabric; even as poor as we were when I was a kid my mom made sure that we went to at least one game a year, on Patriots Day. I remember vividly cheering on Dwight and Wade. I also remember Bill Buckner and the impossible error. I was 10. I remember.

But everything changed in 2004. The curse was lifted; the heckling of 1918 could never be sprouted from a Yankee mouth again. We were World Champions and we more than anyone else deserved it. It's funny; my grandpa died when I was 11, the Red Sox won the World Series when I was 28. When I walked out my front door and looked across the street to Fenway Park the morning after we won it all, I felt closer to my grandpa than I had in years, decades even. He was alive and well in all my baseball memories and I felt that I shared that moment with him, that he knew, that he could see that we had done it, that we had finally done it.

So. Needless to say, I watch every Red Sox game, and God Bless the person who invented the DVR. Because, now when the game is on at 2:00 on the most glorious of spring afternoons I don't need to stay inside and watch it in real time. I can record it, and watch it at night, in half the time. Read.SKIP ALL COMMERCIALS. Yeah, thank you DVR Man you Rock.

So, what's better than a bottle of wine and a few homemade pizzas to go with your commercial free Red Sox game?

Pita Pizza crust
Split pita in half so tha tyou have two big circle bread slices.
Drizzle with olive oil and bak at 350 for 5 minutes.

Pizza Number One:
Top with tomato sauce enhanced with oregano and parsley.
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Pizza Number Two
Top with Caramelized Onions
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

No comments: