Friday, February 02, 2007

Oatmeal Scones...CB's new favorite

I didn't feel like working yesterday, so I spent the afternoon lunch hour looking for a new recipe to test out when I got home. I found it on the Quaker Oatmeal website in the form of yet another scone recipe. I should open up a scone bakery, it's seems to be all I make lately. This was one of the more simple scone recipes I have tried, and just let me say in no uncertain terms...they kick ass. Mmm Mmm Goodness. I suggest if you have these ingredients laying around the house that you make them when you get the chance, I think it took me a total of 40 minutes from start to eating.

Recipe:
Scones

2 C all purpose flour
1 C oats
1/4 C plus 2Tbs sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 Tbs butter chilled and cut into pieces
3/4 C milk
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C toasted pecans
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Glaze:
3/4 C powdered sugar
3 to 4 tsp milk or orange juice
Heat oven to 425°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.

In large bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, combine milk, egg and vanilla; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork or rubber spatula until dry ingredients are moistened. In small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar with the pecans and cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over dough in bowl; gently stir batter to swirl in cinnamon mixture (Do not blend completely.) Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack; cool 5 minutes. In small bowl, combine powdered sugar and enough orange juice for desired consistency; mix until smooth. Drizzle over top of warm scones. Serve warm.

Rating = So Damn Good

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

You are like the scone goddess of Boston!!

Judy said...

Those scones look awesome, but I must admit, the real reason I am commenting is because of the pasta in the post below. It looks amazing!