Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Muhammara | ATK Light

Well so far this new year 2008 sucks ass. After having my car breakdown in a snow storm of the first day of the year, I find out that my car which I've only owned for 14 months and which I didn't buy the extended warranty on needs a new engine to the tune of 7,000 dollars. Please FORD, tell me how a 2005 car, less than three years old and with less than 45,000 miles on it needs a new engine. Please tell me how this is acceptable. I've always owned Ford cars and have always thought they were well built. Not so much with the 2005 Ford Escape I guess considering you need to buy it a whole new engine when it's three years old. Truth be told, I don't have the money to fix the car, so I'm not sure what's going to happen - it may sit and rot in the mechanics shop for years while I try and save up the money to fix it. THANKS FORD!

On a lighter note, I made this dip/spread the other night when we had friends over, and I was almost too greedy to serve it because I wanted it all for myself. It was that good.

Muhammara ATK Best Light Recipes
1/4 cup walnuts
1 2/3 cups jarred roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed, and thoroughly patted dry with paper towels
2 slices wheat or white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
3 tbsp juice from one lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp mild molasses
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.

1. Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until they are fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a plate to cool.

2. Process the toasted walnuts with the remaining ingredients in a food processor until smooth, about 10 pulses. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the flavors meld, about 1 hour. (The dip, covered, can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Season with additional lemon juice, salt and cayenne as needed before serving.) Serve the dip either cold or at room temperature.

Rating = So God Damn Good

3 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry to hear about the car.

Ana said...

I too love this dip! The recipe I have made is from Ellie Krieger, and it is just as you said, it is something you almost don't want to share!
JB, I really like your blog and recipes, pretty cool!!
When you say ATK is it american's test kitchens, right? and then you mention "light", are those recipes from the best light recipes cookbok from CI?
I am sorry if I am all confused, it is just that the recipes you post look delicious and I love healthy and light recipes, and even more I do love cookbooks! (and the Best Light Recipes from CI is one I have been considering to buy!)
Thanks!
Ana

JB said...

Ana, yes ATK is America's Test Kitchen and the recipe is from the Best Light Recipes from Cook's Illustrated. I would highly recommend that book to you, I love everything I make from it.