Thursday, April 09, 2009

Barrel Fever | Bodegas Castano Solanera 2005

Last week I went to a wine tasting at Brix featuring the Spanish wines of importer Eric Solomon. All the wines were really good, but I was drawn more to this wine because of the smoky nose and juicy flavor. Robert Parker gave it 91 points, and Stephen Tanzer gave it 90. I'm not familiar with Stephen Tanzer, but I've found that I have similar likings to Robert Parker.The wine is 65% Monastrel (same thing as Mouvedre) 20% Cab Sav and 15% Garnacha Tintorera.

And of course as is my luck, I bought this wine fro 17.99 at the tasting and two days later wine.com sent me an email that the wine was on sale for $14.00 a bottle. Isn't that a kick in the nuts.

2005 Bodegas Castano Solanera
$17.99

International Wine Cellar Notes:"Saturated purple. Smoky raspberry and cherry on the nose, with a sexy mocha quality adding complexity. Fleshy, round dark fruit liqueur flavors caress rather than pummel the palate. Gentle tannins arrive late to add structure but this is all about silky, juicy fruit."

JB Notes:This wine had a nice smoky berry nose. Its a big wine, its not for pussy palates. If you like big reds you'll like this.

Rating: Good (buy this wine)

Also - If you like this part of the blog please leave me a comment. I'm going to try to do affordable wines that you can find in your local wine shop wherever you live, so hopefully its helpful to all the readers wherever you are.

Also - I made a Rachel Ray recipe the other day and CB loved it. He's still pissed it was RR's recipe.

4 comments:

laurenc said...

Love this part of the blog. I'm always open to wine recommendations. I need to expand my list of tried and true bottles. Big, oaky reds are my favorite so I will definitely check this one out. Perhaps tonight even! :)

JB said...

Lauren,
Thanks for commenting and please let me know if you try and like this wine.
JB

laurenc said...

Went to Rapid in Stoneham on Friday and lo and behold, they had this wine for 13.99. I definitely liked it and would buy it again. It was a good, solid red for the price. FYI, you should check out Rapid if you haven't already. They have great selection and prices.

stoned fox said...

I like this part of the blog! I haven't read it for awhile, but it definitely would add to it!