Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Vegan Datenut Bread | Make It Now

Yesterday as I was trying to get out of my pajamas, I got my foot caught in the pant leg. My leg went back and forth, back and forth; like a drunk person attempting to do that Roger Rabbit dance from the 90's where you grab one leg behind you and shake it back and forth with your hand. Except in this instance my pants were neither up nor down, just stuck in no mans land around mid thigh. This struggle finally ended with me falling face down with my stupid leg still tied up in the pant leg. I was alone in my room, but the human instinct to look around to see if anyone had just seen this display and utter lack of coordination caused me to whip my head around frantically to see if my actions had produced an audience of onlookers.

Anyway - remember a few months ago I attempted to veganize an old recipe that my Nana had for date nut bread. The bread came out great, but it lacked the dark rich color that my Nana's had. Over the weekend I tried again, making a few changes to the recipe, and this one was a complete success. Make it, it's that good.

Vegan Date Nut Bread | adapted from Nana's recipe
3/4 C chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1 C chopped dates
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C applesauce
3/4 C boiling water
2 EnerG egg replacers
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour

Preheat 350.

Combine nuts, dates, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add applesauce and water and let stand 15 minutes. Stir to blend. Beat the EnerG egg replacer with vanilla, stir in the sugar and flour. Add the flour mixture to the date mixture. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Test for doneness around 50-55 minutes.

Rating = So Damn Good

3 comments:

linabeau said...

wondering if it would be okay to link to your blog from mine? we're both in boston, and oddly--though our blogs are about completely different things-- they have a very similar tone. :-)

i'm at http://www.linabeau.wordpress.com just comment back if it's okay.

oh. and i made the banana bread tonight. randomly. never been to your site before. it was lovely.

and it was so good of me to eat half a loaf before getting into bed...

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just made this last night with a few adjustments.. Turned out awesome, thank you for the recipe!

I even took a picture! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azwebear/4237218631/

JB said...

azwebear - so glad you liked it.