Friday, February 17, 2006

White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Raspberry Sauce

Last month CB and I went to Sugarbush, VT with some friends for the weekend. One night we went to John Egan's Big World for dinner. Our meals were "good" not great and our service was less than stellar (a few times we thought our server forgot we were there.) Anyway, the night was all brought together by a quick viewing of the dessert menu and noticing that white chocolate bread pudding was on the menu. It was great, wonderful...on and on. I decided then and there that I would be making a vat of it when I got home. So above is my version of the Big World dessert.

I have always loved bread pudding, it just screams comfort food to me, and I for one have never, ever, tried to give up carbs at all in my life. Thank you marathon running for an excuse to eat ones own body weight in carbs and not feel pangs of guilt for days. I love you long distance training run, with follow up feeding fest.

I found this recipe after searching the internet. It seems this is a rendition of the recipe that is used on Carnival Cruise Lines. Huh!

White Chocolate Bread Pudding
5 large eggs
1/4 lb of butter
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 loaf white bread
1-1/4 lb white chocolate
3/4 cup sugar

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 360°F (182°C). Remove the crust from the bread and soak it in the heated milk and cream. Beat the mixture by hand or in a mixer until the pieces of bread are reduced to the size you want. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler and incorporate that into the bread mixture.


In a separate mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until creamy. Add that to the bread mixture and stir until uniform. Transfer the batter to a buttered pan and place that pan in a larger pan of hot water in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the center is set. [Start checking the pudding after a half hour in the oven. Because this recipe is cut down so severely from the original, it may take a good deal less time to set.]


Raspberry Sauce
One bag frozen raspberries
Sugar

I simply put a bag of frozen raspberrys in a sauce pan and boiled them, adding sugar until I got the consistency that I liked for drizzling.

No comments: