Thursday, January 25, 2007

Litter Bug

I have a wonderful food post, but I'm not going to post about until later because I want to write about a small incident that happened to me on the train this morning. Before I tell the tale I'd like to give a little bit of background on a few things.

First. Almost nothing irritates me more than littering. I find absolutely no excuse for someone who litters, especially in the City where trash receptacles are nearly every 50 feet or so. I also am a bit of a tree hugger, not crazy hippy run my car off of old McDonald's french fry oil kind of tree hugger, but still, I recycle everything, I unplug everything in my house (except the refrigerator, stove, microwave, and tv) after I am done using it, that means, the coffee pot, toaster, hair appliances, cell phone chargers, everything. (If you don't know how much power appliances can pull when they are plugged in, but not on, do a little research, it's startling.) We are also on the path of changing all of your light bulbs in the house to compact fluorescents so that we can cut down on the energy that we use at night with the lights on. Seriously, the list goes on with the little things that CB and I do everyday so that we can drastically reduce how much we negatively impact the environment.

Second. Do any of you watch Grey's Anatomy? If you do, a few episodes ago Callie learned that she could get people to do what she wanted by "staring" them down. I swear I've been doing this since I was 5 years old. I remember my mother saying to me when I was little "don't give me those eyes little girl;" so I thought it was funny when Callie started doing it to McSteamy to get him to do something she wanted.

Onto this morning's train ride. It wasn't that busy, I was seated in a double seat near the window, but no one was seated next to me. I saw a man get in the train and sit in the single seat across from me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw that he waa going through the newspaper and throwing whatever sections of the newspaper he didn't want behind him under the seat. It was at this point that I became mesmerized with his actions and began my stare down technique (a little note here, the stare down technique only works if the person receiving the look has any friggin clue your giving it.) When the train got to park street, he neatly folded the pieces of the paper that he didn't throw on the floor and put them in his bag. It was at this point that I could not keep my mouth closed about the fact the he was LITTERING ALL OVER THE PLACE. So, I pointed to the newspaper he had put on the floor and said,

JB: are you going to leave those there?

Litter Man: Yup

JB: you know there are proper places to dispose of your trash?

Litter Man: I usually leave the pieces I don't want on the train in case someone else wants to read them.

JB: you usually leave them on the floor, so that if people want to read them they have to pick them up off the floor, why wouldn't you leave them on the seat?

Litter Man: fine, just because of you I'll take them with me you Self Righteous Bitch!

JB: Good, glad we got that taken care off.

So, that was my commute this morning. And you know what, it made my freakin day. Because of me, that man was embarrassed enough to do the right thing. And I whole heartedly think I am a bitch, I'M A BITCH FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!

4 comments:

wheresmymind said...

Can you put that on a resume under "Environmental Bitch"? hehe I know soon you'll be driving one of those grease cars...admit it ;)

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

I am so with you. And, don't start me on those free papers that are left everywhere. I too have seen people litter .... and often say something. One of my biggest pet peeves.

I am going to check out those bulbs since have been meaning to.

Boston Chef said...

Hey - we're with you on the littering... it is disgusting and unnecessary.

We still have to work on using less energy, however - a much more daunting undertaking.