Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Have you tried Quinoa (keen-wa)

Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain, any of them. And not only is it high in protein, but the protein that it contains is what is referred to as a complete protein; complete meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. It was one of the three staple foods of the Incan civilization, the other two being corn and potatoes, and was known to them as the mother grain. Mother grain is a bit of a misnomer considering it's not really a grain, it's the botanical fruit of an herb plant, and a relative to leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. There are multiple websites heralding the healing properties of this great "grain", but you know what is even more important, the shit tastes good. Real good in fact, when cooked it has a very soft texture and then a little snap when you bite into it. It has a really pleasant "mouth feel" a term which always makes me snicker like the mature grown woman I am. "Ha Ha mouth feel." Moving right along. There are so many ways that you can prepare this great grain, like there are so many ways to make pasta. So go on, experiment with it.

Quinoa with Mint, Golden Raisins and Feta

Prepare Quinoa to package instructions.
handful of chopped fresh mint
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 c feta cheese
salt and pepper

When quinoa is done and at the right consistency mix in all ingredients, top with salt and pepper. Enjoy.

Rating = So Damn Good

4 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I haven't tried quinoa yet, JB - I tried to buy it once but I couldn't find any in the ridiculously small town I live in.
Your way of preparing it sounds light and delicious.

wheresmymind said...

*Kack* I can't handle the little squiggly shaped Q's!

AFN said...

Quinoa is one of my favorite fall and winter foods! I add a little agave nectar and it is so much better than oatmeal! Your recipe looks delicious - I will save it for my quinoa cravings... starting usually in late September. ;-)

Dratomic said...

I eat it with blueberries and yogurt...yum!