Monday, June 18, 2007

Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostini

I still had some sundried tomatoes and goat cheese left over from the pasta dinner I made the other night, so when our friends from Providence decided to come up and see us Friday night I knew exactly what to make as an appetizer before we went out to dinner. Seriously, two ingredients here, it doesn't get much easier than that people. Sundried tomatoes and goat cheese, it's not rocket science.

Our friend Eric is completely batshit over P.F. Chang's. I don't know why. CB and I try our damnedest to not eat at chain restaurants, knowing that it's more important to support smaller family owned establishments than big honking suburban sprawl inducing chains. On Friday night we even suggested going to one of the small restaurants by our house to which Eric's reply was, "it's P.F. Chang's or nothing." So that pretty much put the kabash on going anywhere else, and considering they had waited in two hours of Fenway traffic to get to our house that night, we weren't going to argue.

Everything at the restaurant was fine, the service was good, the food is what I would call high class take-out Chinese. As Eric was nearing the end of his Tam Tam Noodles he looked at his plate and said "what the fuck is this" as he picked up a brown sticker that clearly said THURSDAY/JUEVES on it. We called the waiter over and inquired about the THURSDAY/JUEVES sticker to which his reply was that our meal was most likely prepared the night before, which explains the date on the sticker, but not why the sticker was in the food. Needless to say, we didn't pay for that particular order of Tam Tam Noodles. To their credit, the manager came over and looked completely mortified, we had actually had enough drinks that we found it very comical, especially because it was "P.F. Chang's or nothing" that night for Eric, and it was his meal that was fouled. I think he may have also been perplexed that he was essentially eating left overs, considering it had been made a whole 24 hours prior to his ordering it. Good Times.

Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese Crostini
1/2 jar sundried tomatoes in olive oil
1/2 log or about 3 ounces goat cheese
1/2 loaf French bread

Cut the french bread on a bias into small slices. You can either brush them with a little butter before you toast them, or simple toast them plain. I wanted to keep the fat/calories low so I simply toasted them plain in the toaster oven.

In a food processor, pulse the sundried tomatoes and goat cheese until completely incorporated. When bread is lightly toasted top each one with a generous amount of the tomato and goat cheese spread. Enjoy.

Rating = So Damn Good

4 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I laughed so hard I actually cried, JB - I am sorry for your friend, but maybe he needed this wake up call. :)

I love this spread you made - what a great way to use sun dried tomatoes.

wheresmymind said...

P.F. Chang's is so damn overrated. I refuse to go there and wait hours to sit down for whatever food. I don't get the Cheesecake factory either...at least there are some dishes I dig there, but I still won't wait 3 hours for a table. Your post put a big ol smirk on my face regarding your narrow minded foodie friend ;)

Anonymous said...

I made your appetizer tonight -- and I loved it.

Thanks for the recipe.

JB said...

Anonymous, I wish you had at least left me your initials so that I could respond to you more personally, but in any case I'm so glad that you liked the appetizer. It is so simple and great. Thanks for your note.